Your job is to take the scribe sheets from the ring to the scorekeeper. You are usually assigned to one ring. Occasionally you may need to handle all rings.
- After the Scribe records the time, he/she should give you the sheet. If not, offer to take it.
- If the sheet is a duplicate, tear off the yellow copy and put it in a bucket given for this purpose. The handler can then retrieve the copy.
- When you have 3 – 4 scribe sheets, take them to the Scorekeeper. Make sure the Scorekeeper knows about the sheets and put them where he/she indicates.
- Then go back to the ring and wait for more sheets.
- If you are handling more than 1 ring, go to each ring in turn. Wait until the current run has finished, then tell the Scribe you are here for the sheets. After visiting each ring take the sheets to the Scorekeeper.
Your job is to collect the dog’s leash at the beginning of the run and take it to the exit end so that it is there when the dog finishes its run. Do not underestimate the importance of this job, as it is important to keeping the event moving.
- As each competitor enters the ring, stand by and wait until the handler removes the leash and collar from the dog. The handler may give it to you, throw it at you, or drop it to the ground.
- Wait until the run has started before picking up the leash. The dog does not have to be on the other side of the ring, just at the second or third obstacle. This is important especially for Starters dog.
- Take the leash & collar, go to the exit and place them in the basket placed for that purpose.
- Go back to the entrance to wait for the next dog.
- You can do this inside or outside of the ring, depending on what is more comfortable and convenient for you.
- Do not take it personally if a handler throws the leash and it hits you. The handler can be in a “zone” and unaware of anything other than his/her run.
Special Considerations for Snooker
There can be more than one start line and the handler can choose to start far away from the entrance. If that happens, follow the handler so that you can pick up the leash. Again wait until the dog has started before taking the leash to the exit.
Special Considerations for Team Relay
A leash runner is not necessary, as the handlers will keep the leashes in their boxes. In this case you are promoted to Ring Steward.