This page contains: General Trial Format; Trial Details; Competitor Details; Site Details; and Crew Details.
>> There's a lot of information here, please keep scrolling down!
General Trial Format
Two courses only are available, built Rings 1 and 2. Note that here will be no table used in the Standard events at any level, per AAC pandemic rules.
Competitors are assigned a one hour time slot. Four time slots in the morning - at 9am, 10am, 11am and noon. Four time slots in the afternoon - at 2pm, 3pm, 4pm and 5pm. Each time slot has less than 10 competitors assigned to it. Basically, these competitors will drive in, walk and run the two courses, and drive out.
Each group of competitors is asked to arrive 30 minutes before their time slot, to exercise their dogs well distanced from Rings 1 and 2, in the area of Ring 3, until their designated time slot begins.
The ring crew, will be comprised of the following people in or near the rings: Judge; Timer; Scribe; 4 Ring crew.
There are additional Paws4Fun crew members on site, away from the rings. These include:
- The Traffic Cop stays near the main vehicle gate: handling the gate; ensuring that no one enters before their time, and showing those that do where to wait when they arrive early; directing them where to park when they are allowed into the field; making sure there are no traffic jams on the driveway.
- The Site Wrangler roves inside the competition field: ensuring that the competitors on site know where they need to be; ensuring the waiting competitors stay well clear of the competition rings; ensuring that completed competitors exit the property when they have completed their runs; generally answering questions on what is happening and where to find things.
- The Trial Director works near the shed. They will work with competitors to safely provide them with ribbons and rosettes if they so choose. Please wear a mask while picking up ribbons.
- The Scorekeeper works near, but outside of the ring, entering scores into the trial database.
The ONLY competitors allowed on site at any time are the competitors assigned to the current time slot, and the competitors awaiting the start of their time slot. Competitors may not set up tents, they should car-crate their dogs and sit in their cars to the extent possible (depending on the needs of the dogs and the weather). No guests, spectators or videographers are allowed, competitors only.
The approximate schedule for each one hour time slot is, in sequence:
(1) Socially distanced Judge's briefing in Ring 1
(2) competitors walk the course in Ring 1 (7 min)
(3) competitors warm up their dogs (5 min)
(4) a competitor runs the course in Ring 1
(5) any height / equipment changes needed are done by the Ring Crew, Timer and Scribe
(6) repeat steps (4) and (5) for the rest of the competitors
(7) competitors cool down and car-crate their dogs (5 min)
(8) repeat steps (1) through (6) for the course in Ring 2
(9) competitors cool down their dogs in an area well distanced from Rings 1 and 2, and drive off the property
Don't worry, you don't to memorize all this, the Trial Director, Traffic Cop and Site Wrangler are there to help you!
(1) Please be patient, choose kindness!! This is a different trial format, and we need your help to make this work. While we at Paws4Fun have tried to think of everything in advance, there are a ton of details to be covered. Help us to find a way to play the sport we all love while staying safe in these difficult times. No doubt things will change as the plan is executed, so please keep calm and have fun!
(2) There will be no check-in/registration.
(3) There is no Gate Keeper, as there are only six competitors at any given time. The email competitors receive informing them of their time slot will also contain the running order for all competitors in that time slot, and this running order will be verified with the Traffic Cop on arrival, and posted outside the ring.
(5) Results will not be posted at the Trial, they will be published online a day or two after the event, and they will not be posted on site. However, competitors can ask the Scorekeeper for their results after their run (the Trial Director or Site Wrangler can help you find the Scorekeeper).
(7) Titles earned will be celebrated on the Paws4Fun FaceBook page after the Trial. No title ceremonies on site, sorry.
(8) A ring exit and entry gates will be opened and closed by the Ring Crew Entry/Exit Gate Handlers, competitors should not touch the gates and should maintain a two meter distance from the Gate Handlers and from the other competitors while entering and exiting the ring.
(9) There there will be no Leash runner. Competitors may drop their leash/collar on the ground in the ring near the gate. AAC rules temporarily allow competitors to run with their leash in their pocket.
(11) Dog Measurement, per AAC temporary rules: Judges will provide a one-time measure for dogs under 2 years of age. Dogs over 2 years of age must have at least one official measurement recorded on their Dog ID Card up to December 31, 2021.
(1) What to bring:
- MUST bring your own mask and hand sanitizer.
- Bring your own copy of the course maps.
- DO NOT bring a tent or much crating stuff. You will only be on site for about an hour.
- If you can, please crate your dog in your car so that you can set up and exit in the minimum amount of time.
(2) Competitors MUST wear a mask during the walk-though. (If a competitor cannot wear a mask for medical reasons, accommodations will be made if possible.) Competitors may wear masks while running events, or not, at their own discretion.
(4) No competitor crating setup allowed, competitors should crate from their cars (depending on the needs of the dog, and the weather).
(1) Paws4Fun provided staff while competitors are on site:
- In rings: Judge, Timer & Scribe, 4 Ring Crew.
- On site, outside of the rings: Traffic Cop & Site Wrangler; Trial Director; Scorekeeper.
(2) Friday, Saturday & Sunday evenings when there are no competitors on site, the build and tear down crews will work. Crews must sanitize hands before touching gates or equipment, and must wear masks during build and tear down.
(3) Timer, Scribe, Scorekeeper, Ring Crew, Traffic Cop & Site Wrangler must work in half or full day shifts.
(6) Responsibilities by role:
- Must maintain a 2 meter distance from all competitors and their dogs, and wear a mask when this is not possible.
- Responsible for rule enforcement. Including ensuring all competitors wear masks during walk-through, and accommodations are made